Fans of the survival and psychological-horror genres are in for a treat as Ice-Pick Studios have revealed a free, playable demo of their upcoming HD remake of the 2005 cult classic Pathologic.
Ice-Pick Lodge’s 2005 cult-classic, story-driven, psychological adventure-horror survival RPG Pathologic is set for a full HD remake on the Unity Engine, with its launch for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One slated for 29 October 2017.
Can’t wait for October? The demo (called the Marble Nest) is available now via the game’s official Steam demo page here and, with its release, comes an all new trailer:
The 3.1GB demo is available to all players (unlike the early alpha build that was only available to backers and press). Ice-Pick Lodge have not revealed just how much of the title will be available in the playable demo though, rest assured (if the reports from the alpha are to believed), the title follows closely on the feel of the 2005 classic.
Not familiar with the original? Here’s the breakdown from the official Steam store page:
“Pathologic is a game where you take on the role of one of the three different healers who are trying to curb an outbreak of a deadly plague. It’s a plot-driven open-world thriller.
Fighting tooth and nail to survive, facing the harsh realities of a collapsing society, making tough choices and often finding yourself in lose-lose situations, you are inevitably going to come to a simple realisation: the plague is more than merely a disease. It happened for a reason. And it can’t be cured unless that reason is uncovered…
Explore the Town, its inhabitants, and their traditions; fight both the plague itself and its victims; try to make a difference before the time runs out.
Just remember: you can’t save everyone.”
Features of the title include:
- 12 days in an odd town ravaged by a deadly disease.
- Three protagonists with three completely different storylines.
- Time is of the essence: if you don’t manage it carefully, it’ll simply run out. You’ll have to choose how to spend the priceless minutes you have.
- Social survival thriller. You’ll have to manage your bodily functions, offsetting hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and so on. But it doesn’t boil down to scavenging resources. Surviving on your own is hard; you’ll have to win over allies.
- An uphill battle. Managing your bodily parameters may seem bearable at first, but as time goes by, it becomes harder and harder. Your own organism is only waiting for an opportunity to give up and betray you. Things are changing from bad to worse and the odds are stacked against you.
- The town is completely free to roam at your will, no artificial boundaries barring your way. Knock on any door, enter any house… and be prepared to face the consequences.
- A duel with an enemy you can’t kill. Your main foe is the plague itself, an incorporeal and malevolent entity that you have to defeat… without having the means to. It’s more powerful and more treacherous than you can imagine.
- Loot, murder, mug, steal, barter, beg… or don’t. You need resources to survive, but it’s up to you how to obtain them.
- The fights are short, ungraceful, and vicious. They don’t have to be lethal though. Many people—yourself included—would prefer to exchange their wallet for their life.