Today is quite an exciting day in the 2016 gaming world for multiple reasons, as Battlefield 1, Civilization VI and LEGO Harry Potter Collection all hit the shelves as of today!
Not much has to be said about EA and DICE’s well-hyped release, but in-case you have been living in a cave, here is the official blurb for the game:
“Experience the dawn of all-out war in Battlefield 1. Fight your way through epic battles ranging from tight urban combat in a besieged French city to the heavily defended mountain forts in the Italian Alps or frantic combats in the deserts of Arabia. Discover a new world at war through an adventure-filled campaign or join in epic multiplayer battles with up to 64 players and adapt your tactics to the earth-shattering environments and destruction. Fight as infantry or take control of amazing vehicles on land, air and sea, from the tanks and bikes on the ground, to biplanes and gigantic battleships, and adapt your gameplay to the most dynamic battles in Battlefield history.”
- Epic 64-Player Multiplayer Battles – Team up with your friends and join in the most epic multiplayer battles in FPS history with up to 64 players fighting as infantry or piloting vehicles ranging from tanks and bikes on the ground to biplanes and gigantic battleships.
- Experience the Dawn of All-out War – Be a part of the greatest battles ever known to man. From the heavily defended Alps to the scorching deserts of Arabia, war is raging on an epic scale on land, air and sea as you witness the birth of modern warfare
- Earth-shattering Intuitive Destruction – With intuitive destruction, no battle is ever the same. Destroy vehicles big and small and demolish entire buildings. From tiny wooden houses to massive stone forts, even the grounds on which you’re fighting can be blasted apart.
- War Stories from the Far Edges of the World – Discover a world at war through an adventure-filled campaign that captures the variety of a global conflict through the eyes of several different characters all united by this first, modern war.
If you are looking to save a bit on purchase, a hard copy from somewhere like Takealot or BT Games is recommended, as both currently have the game at R100 less (R899) compared to EA’s own Origin, which has the standard edition prices at R999.95.
Battlefield 1 is available on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI:
This is a slightly more niche release but no less important, having won the E3 2016 reward for “best PC game”, and from all the looks of things, is an important and victorious return to form for the franchise. Here’s the official blurb:
“Sid Meier’s Civilization VI sets another milestone in the Civilization franchise, which has sold-in over 34 million units worldwide and changed the gaming landscape by bringing the strategy genre to unparalleled heights. In Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, cities will physically expand across the map to create new, deep strategic layers, active research in technology and culture will unlock new potential ways to play; and the large variety of leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical character traits as players race to achieve victory however they choose to play.”
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the ‘one unit per tile’ design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful ‘Corps’ units.
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is available on PC.
LEGO Harry Potter Collection
This is a remastering of the LEGO Harry Potter Games for PlayStation 4, and bundles all seven years of the famed-wizard’s adventures into a single release. Here’s the blurb:
“The LEGO Harry Potter Collection brings LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 to the PlayStation4 computer entertainment system for the first time with both top-selling videogames remastered on one disc! This compilation unites the creative prowess of LEGO and the expansive world of Harry Potter, with an exciting journey full of spell-casting, potion-making, puzzle-solving, lessons, dueling and much more for players of all ages to enjoy. Gamers can experience the entire LEGO Harry Potter adventure featuring content from seven books and eight films, with enhanced graphics, environments, lighting and visual effects, along with two downloadable content (DLC) packs. Sure to delight fans of J.K. Rowling’s ever-expanding Wizarding World, the LEGO Harry Potter Collection serves as a perfect gift for those eagerly anticipating the upcoming film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a prequel to the Harry Potter film series.”
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is based on the first four books and films—Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone™, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets™, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire™—allowing fans to experience Harry’s first four years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in full LEGO form.
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7transports players through the final three books and final four films—Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince™ and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™—to experience Harry’s last years at Hogwarts™ and his battle against Lord Voldemort™ in the ultimate fight between good and evil.
- Character Pack DLCincluded on disc featuring 10 characters—Godric Gryffindor, Harry (Yule Ball), Helga Hufflepuff, Lockhart (Straightjacket), Luna (Lion Head), Peeves, Hermione (Pink Dress), Ron Weasley (Ghoul), Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin.
- Spell Pack DLCincluded on disc featuring 5 spells—Cantis, Densaugeo, Ducklifors, Melofors and Tentaclifors.
The game is currently available through the PlayStation Store, but if you’re looking to get a good deal, Raru currently has it on special for just R609, which is well worth the price for the sheer amount of content you are getting.
With kids to adults covered in this weekend’s gaming releases there is no reason not to build or conquer your way through the weekend, so get gaming!